Baseball is featured in several different contexts in Calvin and Hobbes.
The Baseball Story Arc
This story arc lasted from 4/16 to 5/5 1990. In it, Moe bullied Calvin into joining the school baseball team after finding out he didn't sign up. Calvin, powerless, reluctantly accepted. When Calvin's father caught wind of this, he tried to train his son for the game. However, training was cut short when Calvin got injured by the ball. On his first day of baseball, Calvin got distracted and, unable to follow the game, caught an out for the opposing team. Threatened by his teammates, he quit the baseball league. This experience left Calvin with a deep dislike for organized sports.
Baseball at Calvin's House
Despite lacking the manpower for conventional baseball, Calvin and Hobbes have tried their hand at the sport on several occasions. Their house rules include the addition of at least twenty-three bases (the "secret base" notwithstanding), and in order to compensate for the lack of other players, will either have Calvin and Hobbes hold multiple ranks or require accounting for imaginary "ghost" teammates.
Quotes from baseball
- Calvin: "I can't believe this moronic sport is our national pastime."
- Hobbes: "That run doesn't count! You didn't touch third base!"
- Hobbes: "I'm up to bat again! What fun! Two man baseball is a real sport!
- Calvin: "Kicking dust is the only part of this game we really like."
- Calvin: (nosebleed) "Thanks for the tip, Dad. Find my nose and put it in ice so they can sew it back on!"
- Calvin: (nosebleed) "I'M BLEEDING! MY OWN DAD IS TRYING TO KILL ME!"
- Calvin: (nosebleed) "I'm not playing baseball any more! Never again! I hate it!"
- Calvin: (nosebleed) "All my character is dripping out my nose!"
- Calvin: "A real sport for idiots. Next time I'm going to tag you with the bat instead of the ball."
- Hobbes: "You're out. Gimme a dollar."
- Calvin: "Sometimes I wish I had a neighborhood with more friends."
- Hobbes: "Yeah, well, my ghost outfielders came in and beat the tobacco juice outta him."
- Hobbes: "The ghost crowd supports me. They're boo-ing you!"
- Calvin: "I don't understand it, Hobbes. The kids teased me when I didn't play baseball. Then they yelled at me when I did play. Then the teacher called me a "quitter" when I stopped playing. Unless you're a star, you can't please anyone."
- Hobbes: "In that case, why not just please yourself?"
- Calvin: "Because Mom won't let me move to Madagascar."